Lad saved by Great North Air Ambulance after life-threatening crash to run Great North Run to thank heroes

A County Durham lad who could have died without help from the Great North Air Ambulance after a collision last year is to run the Great North Run with his dad in aid of the life-saving charity.

Corey Russell, now 20, from Croxdale, was walking back home after a day watching football when he was hit by a car. The keen competitive fisherman was left with several broken bones and life-threatening internal injuries – including three spinal fractures and a broken pelvis and hip.

In the incident, which took place at before 5.25am on September 3 last year, Corey also suffered a fractured sternum, a shattered and dislocated shoulder blade, a severe laceration on his right arm, lacerations to his kidney, liver and spleen and damage to his stomach and colon. A paramedic who helped save him said that without the GNAAS 24/7 service, Corey may not have survived.

Now, with dad Chad, 40, Corey is going to take on September’s famous half-marathon. Corey said: “Supporting GNAAS is important to me as I was involved in a serious accident which left me with serious life-changing injuries. Thanks to GNAAS I’m not only still here but I’m recovering.

“My recovery has been difficult, not just for me but also my family, but thanks to their support and the amazing medical community I’m recovering better than we could have expected.”

Corey Russell in hospital after being involved in a devastating road traffic collision.
Corey Russell in hospital after being involved in a devastating road traffic collision.
(Image: GNAAS / Russell family)

The family have already raised more than £2,400 for GNAAS, and hope to increase that at the run. Corey added he had met paramedic Ian Grey several times since what happened.

Corey said: “Going to the base to meet Ian and all the amazing team was great and also very emotional. I got to meet my hero first-hand and thank him. He made me feel very welcome and privileged to still be here. I will be forever in his and GNAAS’s debt.”

Dad Chad added: “I owe so much to GNAAS for their part in saving our Corey’s and many others lives.”

Corey spent three weeks in hospital and seven hours in surgery following what happened. But he made it that far thanks to the roadside interventions he received from the GNAAS team. This involved putting him in an induced coma.

Paramedic Ian added: “The NEAS crew did a superb job treating Corey, but he needed interventions that only we could provide.

“After our own assessment it was clear Corey’s condition was critical, therefore we immediately commenced with a blood transfusion and decided that we would have to anaesthetise Corey to put him in a medically induced coma to secure his airway and to protect his brain from further injury.”

The family are also fundraising to support the purchase of vouchers for the hospital staff who helped Corey. GNAAS needs to raise £8.5m a year to support its services.

View news Source: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/lad-saved-great-north-air-29175854

Scroll to Top