logo

Newcastle notebook: ‘Big-name’ sale avoided, striker to leave, Hall’s shock Blyth appearance

Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe is understood to have assured Bruno Guimaraes that he is equally as ambitious as him – and that St James’ Park is the best place for him next season.

Bruno is not pushing for a move, but with agents pushing the player and generating interest, as well as details of his one-month clause leaked this week by well-placed sources, speculation continues to mount over his future and a possible £100million move. Howe has told Bruno he wants him to stay “as long as possible” but he too has impressive plans to build a team around the Brazil international, and he is hopeful that handing Joelinton a new long-term deal is also another sign that the ex-Lyon star is very much the main man at the training ground these days.

Given that Bruno’s starts and ends in June it would also be a complicated deal to do given that the 26-year-old is on duty with Brazil at the Copa America in the United States at that time. Brazil boss Dorival Junior is also expected to ban transfer talk in the Seleção camp as he demands focus on the tournament.

Howe also assured fans that he can still bring in the players without necessarily having to sell a star name such as Guimaraes, he said: “I think so. This big-name sale, which is the talk of everything, I don’t know what will happen, but I know we can fight, live again and create a different team.

“That (selling) is not what I want to do. I want to make minimal changes, but changes enough that can transport us forward. I can’t predict what will happen, we adjust when things happen.”

Howe also added: “It goes without saying we want to keep Bruno and build a team around him. He seems happy and settled, he will be thinking about a busy summer and hopefully we can take him with the team and he’s a big part of it.”

READ MORE: Everything Eddie Howe said at Newcastle United press conference as injuries and transfers discussed

READ MORE: Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe’s positive update on four stars but Targett to miss rest of season

Lewis Hall’s shock appearance at Blyth Spartans

Despite losing 5-1 and seeing their side relegated against Brackley Town last weekend, some young Blyth fans were handed a small consolation after getting to meet one of their first-team heroes at Croft Park. Eyebrows were raised when Lewis Hall rocked up to the Northumberland club’s ground to take in their last game of the season.

Hall’s presence resulted in a queue of fans eager for autographs and selfies as he watched his older brother Connor Hall star for Brackley. The 26-year-old is currently on loan from Solihull Moors and had a solid game in the big victory for Brackley.

Striker to say farewell at the end of the season

Blyth lad Dylan Stephenson netted in Friday night’s 2-1 reserve team win at Stoke City as he looks to put himself in the shop window for next season.

Stephenson, 21, can play as a centre-foward or out wide and has netted has an impressive tally of 41 goals in close to 100 games for Newcastle youths and reserves. He also grabbed eight goals while on loan at South Shields in the Vanarama League North this term.

With the window due to open for the summer soon, Hartlepool and Gateshead have already expressed an interest in the Geordie youngster. His most famous goal so far came in a 5-0 win for Eddie Howe’s first-team against Al Hilal in the Diriyah Cup final in December 2022.

Stephenson’s contract is up at the end of next month and he has been told he won’t get a new deal. Although, United’s backroom staff at the Academy are helping him secure his next move.

View news Source: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-notebook-big-name-sale-29070382

Scroll to Top